Are you between the ages of 18 and 40? Have you thought about a career in law enforcement? Are you a military veteran and were or are about to be honorably discharged? Can you pass a background check? If so, the St. Albans Police Department is accepting applications for Probationary Police Officer through August 18, 2016. St. Albans Police Department has at least two (2) vacancies and will be having retirements over the next two years which will need to be filled.
Applications may be picked up at City Hall (1499 MacCorkle Avenue) or the Police Department (51 6th Avenue) between the hours of 8am and 4:30pm. The application packet can also be downloaded using the link below:
Applications MUST be turned in no later than 4:30pm on Thursday, August 18, 2016 to the City Clerk’s Office at St. Albans City Hall at 1499 MacCorkle Avenue. Those returned by mail MUST BE RECEIVED BY August 18, 2016 AT 4:30PM. Preference points are given for the following:
- Veterans of at least two years of active duty service in the US Armed Forces and are/about to be honorably discharged
- Two or more years of college education with a major course of study in law, criminal justice, or police administration (or related fields)
- Two or more years of prior police experience
The following information MUST be submitted with the application:
- Copy of a High School Diploma
- Copy of Birth Certificate
- Copy of a VALID Driver’s License
- DD-214 if applicable
If you are seeking preference points for college education or prior police experience, you must attach this information as well (diploma, transcript, police identification).
The Physical Ability Test will be given at the St. Albans Police Department on Saturday, August 20, 2016 at 8am. It will consist of the following current WV State Police Academy entrance standards:
- 18 strict push-ups within on minute
- 28 strict sit-ups within one minute
- 1.5 mile run within 14:36
Explanations and how to train for the test can be found on this document: WVSPA PAT Training
Applicants MUST pass all three standards to pass the Physical Ability Test.
Those passing the physical ability test will be invited to take the written test on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 6pm at the Hansford Senior Center located at 500 Washington Avenue in St. Albans.
Those passing the written exam will be placed on a list of eligible candidates in order of their scores.
The testing process is being conducted and supervised by the St. Albans Police Civil Service Commission.
Salary scale for base pay is: Hire – $31,324 Year 1 – $32,822 Year 3 – $34,403 Year 5 – $36,046 (note this is base pay…with the built in overtime on the 12-hour shifts expect each of these salary listings to be at least $5000 higher)
- medical insurance with free eye and dental
- police pension, all equipment issued
- department issued smartphone (upon completion of the Academy)
- take home car (upon completion of the Academy and subject to distance restrictions)
- longevity pay (begins receiving at 6th anniversary of hiring)
- 12-hour rotating schedule (every other weekend off after completion of Academy)
- built-in overtime (8 hours per check upon completion of the Academy while working the 12-hour schedule)
- overtime paid for all hours worked in excess of 40 hours in a week
- paid every 14 days
- off-duty employment opportunities
- overtime detail opportunities
- special investigation opportunities (drug unit assignments & Special Enforcement Unit)
The City of St. Albans is an Equal Opportunity Employer